The launching of the book “L’École Irénée Lussier (Saint –Nom-de-Marie) from the collection about schools in the Hochelaga-Maisonneuve area” took place on October 10, 2013 in the school cafeteria.
Among the many people who attended the launching were several SNJM Sisters, particularly those who had opened the Community Archives to provide an account of the years from 1911 to 1976, during which the community played an integral part in the life of the district. A number of members from the current personnel from the school were also in attendance.
Mr. Robert Cadotte, author of the book, along with Mrs. Sosa, brought to life on screen, the main stages of the history of the school up to the current life of “École Irénée Lussier”.
In 1911, a new school opened: “Académie De la Salle” for boys and “Académie du St-Nom-de-Marie” for girls, which was located at the corner of Hochelaga and Létourneux Streets.
Unfortunately, during the night of December 12th to the 13th, 1914, a fire destroyed the school.
For a moment, let us go back in time to this era. In this institution, as in all the homes, meat, fish and milk products were stored in an icebox: men would carve blocks of ice from the river and deliver them in the area.
Different times, different ways!