The Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary (SNJM) are extending an invitation to a reunion and a celebration of thanksgiving to highlight their significant presence in the Hochelaga-Maisonneuve-Viauville districts. This joyful gathering will take place at Résidence Sainte-Émélie, 4837 Adam Street, on Saturday, August 26, between 1:30 pm and 4:30 pm.
The intention is, at the same time, to emphasize the nearly 160 years of presence in these districts of this first teaching Congregation of women religious which was founded in Canada. Indeed, it is easy to forget that the initial presence of the SNJMs in Montreal was in the Hochelaga-Maisonneuve-Viauville districts.
This first expansion of the Congregation, founded by Eulalie Durocher, dates back to 1860 with the establishment of the Hochelaga Convent, which played a major role in the area by housing many institutions right up until its closure in 1972.
Called to respond to the urgent needs of education in the east end of Montreal, the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary also opened the Sainte-Émélie Convent. This institution would play an equally important role with the local population, by offering various training programs, not to mention English courses, commercial courses and courses that were artistic in nature (painting and music).