In section: News

From École St-Nom-de-Marie to École Irénée-Lussier

Cassettes of the paper edition

The launching of the book “L’École Irénée Lussier (Saint –Nom-de-Marie) from the collection about schools in the Hochelaga-Maisonneuve area” took place on October 10, 2013 in the school cafeteria.

Among the many people who attended the launching were several SNJM Sisters, particularly those who had opened the Community Archives to provide an account of the years from 1911 to 1976, during which the community played an integral part in the life of the district. A number of members from the current personnel from the school were also in attendance.

Mr. Robert Cadotte, author of the book, along with Mrs. Sosa, brought to life on screen, the main stages of the history of the school up to the current life of “École Irénée Lussier”.


In 1911, a new school opened:  “Académie De la Salle” for boys and “Académie du St-Nom-de-Marie” for girls, which was located at the corner of Hochelaga and Létourneux Streets.

Unfortunately, during the night of December 12th to the 13th, 1914, a fire destroyed the school. 

For a moment, let us go back in time to this era. In this institution, as in all the homes, meat, fish and milk products were stored in an icebox: men would carve blocks of ice from the river and deliver them in the area.

Different times, different ways!


Sister Lucille Potvin, archivist, and Mr. Robert Cadotte, author
Front cover of the paper edition

In 1918 a new school called “École St-Nom-de-Marie” opened its doors on the corner of Pie IX and Hochelaga. This 16-class school, run by the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary, only accommodated girls from grades one to nine. In 1976, the Sisters left this institution for good.

The “Centre Baril”, an education center for adults with mental disabilities, was eventually set up in the premises of "St-Nom-de-Marie".

In 1981-82, the name was changed to “École Irénée Lussier”, in recognition of the  person who had played a major role, first as a CECM (Commission des Écoles Catholiques de Montréal) class inspector to the special education classes, and then as rector of the “Université de Montréal”, from 1955 to 1965.

Today, this school continues its same vocation, but now it is for boys and girls from the ages of 13 to 21. In 2013, the mission of teaching and education is still ongoing under the direction of Mr. Gérald Gauthier.

Following the visual presentation of the book, light refreshments provided time for those who were present to meet and share with each other.

What a heartfelt gathering
for us as educators!!!

 

Sister Aline Hébert, former student and former teacher at St-Nom-de-Marie

*Refer to information taken from the SNJM archives in the Pdf file below.

 

 


Other articles in the section News
A tribute to the SNJM Congregation by the “Polymnie” Choir Ensemble
An invitation to action in solidarity with SNJM’s
Sr. Claudette Bastien represented Canada at a forum in the Vatican concerning migrants and refugees
175 Years in Solidarity for Liberating Action
The "Phare de Longueuil" highlighted the quality of Sr. Suzanne Leclaire’s commitment
“What a joy to rediscover this world so dedicated to the full development of young girls..."
Come and explore some chapters of our history and our heritage
“We are and we will be feminists as long as it is necessary!”
Demystify aging and maintaining the development of one's cognitive abilities
“May our lives be renewed!”